Monday, March 26, 2007

Thingy 7 Technology

What better day to blog about technology than today when Horizon and wireless are down. And a borrower reports that Comcast is down. A pox on all technology.

I don't really mean it. What would LCPL do without Horizon? I don't want to go back to what I call punch cards. And the little metal strip attached to borrowers' library cards. On occasion I still find one of the old punch cards in a book on our shelves. Right now I have Beowulf's card hanging on the wall at my desk. It was last checked out (according to the punch card) in September of 85 and the due date is 9/30/85, checked out by borrower number S 15528. (That's "S" for Sterling, right?) And what's interesting is that the borrower's number is hand written on the card. Hum, something was malfunctioning on that day too.

Waaaay back when I worked at Giant as a cashier we had cranks that we'd use when the power failed. The crank went into the side of the cash register and the cashier would crank it one revolution for every grocery item after we punched in the price. There are times, when Horizon is running slowly, that I'd give money for a crank to speed Horizon along!

I'm looking forward to finishing the 23 things so I can earn my MP3 player. Suppose I'll be able to figure out how to use it? Sure. I will have learned so much via Learning 2.0 by then that downloading songs to it will be a breeze.

No comments: